Tuesday, July 10, 2012

QSL Cards: One Man's Quest to Teach People About These Glorious Pieces of Folk Art

Birth Control and The D.J. - Edmonton, Alberta

Anybody who has been following me for the last year or so, will know that I am constantly yelling people about the little hidden gems known as QSL cards. They are a little hard to explain to people, so I post this description with every single card I post "QSL cards are used by radio amateurs to confirm their two-way radio contacts with each other. Each amateur has their own card which is exchanged with the other amateur or 'station' in that two-way contact."
To put it simply; they're homemade business cards for your CB (or ham) radio to give to people that you have talked with over the airwaves. Usually a QSL card features your call sign, your name and address, and a picture or drawing of your choosing. This can lead to fantastic results.
Usually I would just link back to some of the hundreds I have posted on my flickr, but this is such a visual thing that I think there should be a  gallery of some of examples. 

73's = Best Wishes 88's = Hugs and Kisses

KHX 2308 - Big D? (Short for Dummy) - El Dorado Springs, Missouri Pork Chop & Lady Pork Chop - Las Vegas, Nevada (KAAA-8534) Hot Kielbasa and Climbin Kitten - Anchorage, Alaska (KAAN-8153) XM15-1692 - The Un-Happy Hooker - Penticton, British Columbia Popcorn & Hoppy - Mississauga, Ontario (XM42-23349)
Big Yank & Spitfire - Baker, Louisiana (KKX-1728) KLC-6941 - Sugarfoot Joe, Spitfire, Nightwalker & Coon Hound - Susquehanna, Pennsylvania KNO-1381 - Hammer & Nails, Smokey Joe, Rocking Chair & Troublemaker - Lehighton, Pennsylvania Soul Shaker & Vanilla Puddin - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (KHD-6954) Hi-Ball, Scotty & Penni (KXO-8069)
I plan on continuing to post a QSL Card of the day and eventually, I would love to have a membership drive on this very site and have people design their own QSL cards and make a website or book that showcases the talent and creativity of fans of The Pie Shops. Good idea? Bad idea?
***************************************************************************
YouTube Video of the Day: CB Radio of the 70s   
Learn a little about the CB radio culture of the 1970s. *************************************************************************** 
Motel Postcard of the Day:

Adobe Motel - Mojave, California  

                                       Adobe Motel - Mojave, California


The back says:
A 20 Unit Motel with tubs or tile showers. 7-Kitchenettes-Refrig. Air Conditioning - Heated Pool - TV in rooms - Cafes and gas stations near. Member Diners' Club, American Travel Assn. and American Express. 16370 Sierra Highway (#6 and #466) Mojave, California - Phone VAlley 4-4266


I love the crazy arrow and the frame that don't seem to go together but yet seem to have mated beautifully  Unfortunately, the Adobe is gone. It seems that the Oak Creek Rd. overpass now goes right through the tubs or tile showers.
**************************************************************************
The Pie Shops Ticker - Occasionally I get e-mails from artists who use my flickr for material and I am always floored by the results. Elizabeth Huey painted this wonderful scene from one of my slides and went out of her way to send it to me. Amedeo De Palma makes fantastic collages out the old ads I have posted. Vivienne Strauss both painted this from a slide of party in 1959. John Seven has used several images I have posted to change something sweet in to something strange and wonderful. I am always happy to provide images for talented people and brag about it later.
***************************************************************************
Questions? Concerns? Neat stuff you want me to post?
You can e-mail me at jordan@thepieshops.com.
My other stuff:
Flickr, Facebook, In The Heart of DowntownTwitter, The Pie Shops Tumblr, Cardboard America, Color Transparency, 73s and 88s, Seattle World's Fair and Skate Your Date!

1 comment:

Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

I love all the artwork people have done! Very cool